Wednesday, May 14, 2008

40 Years Old Yesterday

Yesterday I turned 40 years old. I spent the day seeing customers and equipment in Ohio and drove back to Illinois with my boss. I wasn't feeling too hot because I was coming down with a cold and I had been on the road for three days. I got home about midnight and crashed. I had made my wife promise not to get me anything or do anything for my birthday. I just wanted to forget that I was turning 40.

As always, she never listened. I awoke to the smell of fresh cinimon rolls and my wife and children starring at me. They all gave me some cards and sang Happy Birthday. It was fun and at least they didn't make a big deal about my birthday. Or at least I thought.....

When I got to work I was pretty late (I had slept in) and everyone was looking at me weird as I came into the office area. I headed toward my office and I saw ballons. Jonnie and the kids had decorated my barren office with pictures and curios. She had posted all of my coaching plaques with the team pictures and the other momentos. She was on my speaker phone and was able to hear my reaction. I was very suprised and Jonnie and the Kids did a very nice job.

It was a fun belated birthday. Here is a picture of my out back by the "flooding" Rock river. It has swelled over the banks and was 18" up the back dock of our building.

2 comments:

Sonja said...

Happy Birthday!!! I am glad Jonnie didn't listen to your request. Everyone should have a great 40th birthday...not to mention a great 30th birthday just in case Sean is reading this! We miss you!

Raina said...

Sorry I am little late on reading this! Wow what a ton of water! We miss seeing you guys! Now you need to write about California.